Powermatic 60HH 8" Jointer Setup

 

 

The Powermatic 60HH is an 8 inch x 6 feet jointer with a 54 blade helical head.

Though the upgrade to this tool was very exciting, the process of unloading and getting the unit to the shop was a quite a trip.

This unit has a 2 hp motor running on 220v AC.

 

Moving the Unit

I picked up the jointer (in three packages) at the dealer.

The largest of the three boxes was a wooden crate that was loaded into the truck with a forklift,

It looked like a casket and weighed 366 lbs. I got some big boy help from Dave and Paul just to get it from the bed of the truck into the garage and on a rolling pallet.

This large crate held the "head unit" of the jointer, the tables, the fence and the adjustment area.
The ~300 pound head unit removed from the crate.

The move...with great help from James, Bob, and John.

Cindy provided group supervision and took the photos.

Here we are loading head unit on to our trusty yellow "Tonka tank".

 

Note: the grunt labor team consisted of Dr. Holy, Dr. Hirko and Dr. Chow...I felt extemely inadequate and made them call me Doc...

The trek begins...

 

(picture managed to catch James's best side)

Other than a couple of tricky balance points the trek went well.
The "many hands" theory meant that the haul into the shop was "light work".
The head unit is laid upon the base.

The moving phase officially ends with the head unit being secured to the base.

The setup phase consisted of belt install, motor bolt adjustments, power switch install, motor and belt cover panels, dust port, spring loaded safety device, etc.

 

Some left over screws caused James to actually have to look at the manual!!

Since the exact, final location for the unit is yet to be determined, we hooked up "temporary" 220v electricals and 4 inch dust collection.

After cleaning the shipping lubricants from the table, the head unit adjustment points, and the helical cutters, the unit is turned on and tested.

The first tests: auditory (we love the sound of a Powermatic), tactile (the ~500 lb. weight pays off in terms of vibration), and the first jointing runs were all very successful.

Now to fine tune the unit and remodel the north bench unit to provide the proper space.

First I had to remodel the north west end of the workbench. I used the Festool plunge saw with a 1400mm guide rail (clamped underneath) to allow a simple and safe cut across the top of the bench.

This enabled me to get to the framework of the bench.
I then constructed a narrow frame.
Added a recycled MDF top to the narrow frame.
New home for the jointerr...looking north at the unit.
Looking west at the jointer.
Looking east at 60hh.
Maintenance
In 2016 there was a bad noise coming from the cutter area. James and I took off the rear covers and determined that a Woodruff key had come out of the top cutter head pulley.
View of Woodruff in proper location in cutter pulley.

There were two 3mm hex screws that were to hold the Woodruff in place and to keep the pulley at the correct location on the shaft.

Side view of pulley.

When the Woodruff got out far enough proud of the pulley it hits on the inside of the pulley cover.

See worn spot on right edge of cover.

In 2017 the exact same event occurred while Cindy and I were using the jointer...pulled the same pins, reset the pulley, noticed that the upper pulley and the lower pulley were not in perfect alignment...pulled the belt. The upper pulley had a second hole in the shaft that at first I thought the set screw must go into...but it turns out that it is a final pocket for Woodruff key to sit in.

Replaced the two set screws with some Loctite.

Loosened the motor mount bolts to try and align the two pulleys...got very little joy, some minor improvement...the lower motor pulley is closer to the front of the unit that the upper cutter head pulley. The upper one is fixed, so the motor pulley is the one that must be moved.

Noticed that the motor mount plate was bent...put everything back as best I could...

   

 

Return to Shop Index