The floor started with floor joists that were treated 2 x 12s laid on 12 inch centers. Each joist had a 4 x 4 support post laid into a floating concrete pier. These support posts were staggered to provide maximum support. Additional posts were added under the area where the Powermatic would come to rest.

The sub-floor consisted of treated 3/4 inch plywood panels that were screwed into the joists. All walls were constructed upon this sub-floor. After the building shell was constructed, another element of sub-floor was added.
First the sub-floor was cleaned and all screw holes and cracks were floated with concrete leveling compound. They were then sanded and cleaned again. This was extremely labor intensive.
The final sub-floor strata was 1/4 inch luan plywood panels that were glue and screwed to the treated plywood. The floor then had to be rolled to get out all air pockets. Cindy and George put in long hours during this phase.

Once again, the screw holes and the seams had to be floated and sanded.

We estimated over a thousand screws!

Tiles were then laid in an area that we thought we could realistically work with in the evening hours.



After the tiles were laid, we had to roll again to remove air bubbles.

It really started looking like a shop when we got about 60 % floored. But we realized we had a lot of floor left to go!
The floor is finished. It took many more hours and cost more money than anticipated, but the final product was worth it. At this point we could start moving in and felt that the primary construction phase was completed.


Return to Shop Index